Monday, April 7, 2014

Product Review: Veggetti

When I began removing processed food from my diet, I began to realize how much my diet relied on pasta, bread, and cereal.  Removing these foods initially was a daunting task, but then I learned about things like lettuce wrapping hamburgers, spaghetti squash, making plantain chips with a mandolin slicer, and turning zucchini in to "pasta" with a julienne slicer.  Over the years, my kitchen gadget collection increased from a few knives and a cutting board to about 20 different tools I use on a weekly basis.  When a client recommended I give the Veggetti a shot, I thought, "Why not?"  I'm glad I did.



Now, I'm not an infomercial guy.  I'm typically asleep by the time they come on at night and when I wake up in the morning I like to get work done before making breakfast, so the various tools that find their way in to infomercials rarely come to my attention until they make it to Bed Bath and Beyond.  I was training a client one day and she remarked that she missed pasta.  I recommended spaghetti squash or julienne slicing a zucchini, and she said she ordered a Veggetti from TV but was waiting for it.  After figuring out what the hell a Veggetti was, I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought one.  I have 3 issues with using a Julienne slicer to make zucchini pasta; it 's time consuming, the seeded center just shreds and your left with a square core of waste, and I often cut my fingers with the slicer when the zucchini gets small.  The Veggetti eliminates these issues.

The Veggetti is built fairly well, it's sturdy and can be used to make thin pasta or thick pasta depending on which side you use.  The package says you can use it for most types of vegetables, to date I have only used it for zucchini pasta and "spiraly" cut sweet potato strings and it worked well for both.  It comes with a cap you can use to hold the veggies, but I had no problem holding the zucchini by the stem and the sweet potato by the tip.  I could see someone who's not paying attention cutting a chunk out of their finger if they're in a rush, though.  Even if you're not in a rush, this thing works so much faster than a julienne slicer at making zucchini pasta.  While there is still a small spirally core that is left over, it resembles a long piece of rotini I just threw it in with the pasta and didn't notice. At $15 before a 20% off coupon, it's well worth the investment.  Clean up was easy, the only drawback was that you get extremely long "pasta" so you will need to cut it up a bit if you don't want to slop pasta sauce everywhere.